Playmates Cooperative Preschool is one of San Francisco’s oldest parent cooperative preschools founded in 1950 and located in the Outer Sunset district. Grounded in developmentally appropriate, play-based learning, teachers and families together aspire to provide our kids with a hands-on environment that enhances cognitive, linguistic, physical, and social-emotional development. Our five dedicated teachers support a tight-knit community of diverse families with returning alumni each year. Playmates is structured to engage curiosity and foster the love of learning and exploration in our kids through our incredible campus, which includes a large sandbox, indoor climbing wall, bicycle track, chicken coop, multiple gardens, willow dome, art room, and more.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Executive Director
- Be dedicated to the tenets of play-based early childhood education, understand age-appropriate social-emotional development, and foster curiosity and confidence in the children
- Serve as a strong, empathetic, and trustworthy leader for the educational staff, as well as the wider community of parents and families
- Be devoted to the professional growth and development of the staff and parent-teachers through the organization of parent education nights
- Serve as the primary and day-to-day operational administrator, managing all financial, regulatory, and administrative aspects of the school, in cooperation with the Treasurer and Board of Directors
- Partner with the Board of Directors to further the school’s fundraising, financial, and operational needs
- Work with the Membership Chair to manage the annual admissions process in order to build a diverse community of students and families
- Prior experience working in a cooperative preschool, or familiarity with and openness to working within the cooperative preschool structure
- Strong background in early childhood education, with knowledge of best practices and familiarity with a play-based philosophy
- High level of comfort interacting regularly with parents and caregivers, with the ability to build strong family connections
- Effective leader, communicator, and listener
- Strong administrative skills in order to manage and oversee school operations
- Current CA Department of Education Program Director permit or the ability to acquire the permit, within a year from start date
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Meet all California Community Care Licensing requirements; information can be found here
The culture at Playmates embraces those that demonstrate a deep passion for play-based, social-emotional development of children with enthusiasm for building positive working relationships. Take the work seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously. Join a community of compassionate staff and fun-loving families!
The Director position includes a highly competitive Bay Area director salary with robust paid time off and benefits package.
Applications, inquiries, and nominations may be submitted to email@example.com. Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process.