Playmates Co-operative Preschool is currently hiring for the following positions:
TITLE: Executive Director
OUR ORGANIZATION: Playmates Cooperative Nursery School, “A Place Where Kids Can be Kids,” is a parent participatory preschool that has been serving San Francisco families for more than 65 years. A parent participation, or cooperative, nursery school is a non-profit, non-sectarian, democratic organization where each family shares in the planning and operation of the school. We focus on the active involvement of parents in our program, both through our elected parent Board of Directors and parent classroom participation. We offer a fun, safe, well-rounded program that supports social, emotional, sensory, and physical development for children ages 2 1⁄2 – 6 years of age. Our exciting and creative curriculum is play-based and child-directed, hands-on, developmentally challenging, and fun.
THE POSITION: We are looking for a talented, motivated Executive Director to work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement the vision, goals and work plans to ensure the consistent achievement of our mission and financial integrity. The Executive Director has lead responsibility for recruiting and supervising staff. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Leadership and Management
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement strategic initiatives that advance the organization’s mission.
- Ensure ongoing excellence of programs and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Work with the Administrative Director, Treasurer, and financial advisor to maintain the fiscal health of the school, prepare an annual budget, monitor budget performance, and operate within budget guidelines.
- Actively engage and energize parents, board members, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Collaborate with staff and parents to plan, develop, and implement a collaborative, reflective, and intentional preschool curriculum that recognizes that young children learn through play, inquiry, and direct experience.
- Assist staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Stay current in changing trends, research, and policies in early childhood education.
Administration and Operations
- Ensure that the organization is administered in an effective and efficient manner and is at all times in compliance with all legal and administrative guidelines, codes and regulations, including the Community Care Licensing Division of California.
- Recruit, employ, supervise, and release staff; ensure that job descriptions are developed, regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- Provide guidance to support the children’s healthy social and emotional development.
- Work with parents and staff to maintain indoor and outdoor environments that encourage children to explore their interests and ideas.
- Schedule staff and parent workers to ensure appropriate classroom supervision and adult-child ratios.
- Lead and participate in regular staff meetings.
- Guide parent educational and business meetings, social events, and fundraising activities.
- Schedule outside consultants and educational speakers.
- Promote active and broad participation by parents in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Demonstrated passion for the mission of Playmates Cooperative Nursery School.
- A valid/current California Child Development Site Supervisor or Program Director Permit, or qualifications to apply.
- Must pass a fingerprint clearance test for all appropriate agencies (e.g., FBI, Department of Justice, and the Child
- Abuse Index Services) and must pass a Tuberculin (TB) clearance upon hire.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ teaching and supervisory experience in a preschool program.
- Valid/Current Pediatric CPR/First Aid Certificate or ability to obtain certification within the first academic year of employment.
- Thorough knowledge of child development theory and its application to early education.
- Strong interpersonal communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English skills.
- Ability to perform physical activities, such as walking, bending, standing, and lifting children or heavy items (up to 50 lbs).
- Desired Qualifications
- A degree in Early Childhood Education or Child/Human Development preferred.
- Experience in a cooperative preschool program.
- Familiarity with play-based, Reggio, and Montessori practices.
- M-F 8:30am – 4:30pm with lunch break. Up to 37.5 hours per week including three Tuesday evening meetings per month Attendance of school events/fundraisers.
- School Year follows the SFUSD calendar. Reduced hours during summer.
Competitive Salary based on experience. Benefits include PTO, bonuses, and retirement plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter that describes your interest in the position, helps us understand your unique skills and attributes, and responses to the following two questions:
− What child development theories or practices have been most influential to you?
− What are some key opportunities and challenges posed by a parent cooperative nursery school?
- Copy of valid/current California Child Development Site Supervisor Permit or Program Director Permit. If you don’t currently hold either of those permits, please describe in your cover letter why you believe that you have the required education and experience to qualify for one of these permits.
- Copy of valid/current Pediatric CPR/First Aid Certificate.
- Copies of ALL college transcripts, showing coursework completed, grades achieved, and degrees conferred. NOTE: unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application purposes; official transcripts will be required upon hire. If you do not currently hold your transcript(s), please provide evidence of having requested it/them from your educational institution(s); then, when your transcript becomes available, please forward it/them to the email address below.
Email Required Application Documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to download a PDF of the Job Description – ED Solicitation (March 3, 2017)
TITLE: Administrative Director
OUR ORGANIZATION: Playmates Cooperative Nursery School, “A Place Where Kids Can be Kids,” is a parent participatory preschool that has been serving San Francisco families for more than 65 years. A parent participation, or cooperative, nursery school is a non-profit, non-sectarian, democratic organization where each family shares in the planning and operation of the school. We focus on the active involvement of parents in our program, both through our elected parent Board of Directors and parent classroom participation. We offer a fun, safe, well-rounded program that supports social, emotional, sensory, and physical development for children ages 2 ½ – 6 years of age. Our exciting and creative curriculum is play-based and child directed, hands-on, developmentally challenging, and fun.
THE POSITION: The Administrative Director’s primary responsibilities include office management, bookkeeping and administrative support, directly reporting to the Executive Director.
- Answer phones; open, log and distribute mail. Respond to email inquiries regarding membership or forward emails to appropriate staff person/parent member. Maintain organization of the Playmates office, filing systems, student forms, and parent files. Work with Executive Director and Teaching Staff to maintain school and office supplies. Work with IT Support/parent member to maintain website, phone systems and school email accounts.
- Distribute daily parent/child-sign in sheets; track late and tardy members and ensure all members are aware of extra workdays or fines. Work closely with record keeper and ensure co-op members are billed for missed hours.
- Manage invoicing and Accounts Receivables including all membership fees, tuition and fines. Post checks. Support the Treasurer, as needed in producing financial reports for review by the Executive Director, Board and Membership to monitor the current financial status of the organization.
- Process Payroll. Track PTO, Sick Time, Retirement. Provide Human Resource support to staff.
- Work with Membership Chair processing enrollment, student schedule changes and billing; maintain Playmates forms and Handbooks, Returning/New student paperwork, Summer School applications, phone rosters. Make sure all licensing records & forms are completed and up to date for each child enrolled.
- Provide general administrative support to Executive Director and Board. Work with Board Secretary to maintain the Standing Rules, Employee Handbook and Playmates Cooperative Membership Handbook. Assist Fundraising with Harvest Festival, Pancake Breakfast and Auction administration, solicitations and production.
- Work with Executive Director maintaining insurance policies, non-profit registration, and annual tax returns filings, reporting all necessary changes and updated information to the Executive Director and Board. Maintain compliance with all regulatory requirements, including posting all licenses, permits, notices and labor law posters as required by federal, state and local jurisdictions.
- Work with the Executive Director and school Board to ensure a safe and healthy environment is maintained for all school programs. Maintain and oversee third-party Janitorial services. Plan, execute and evaluate fire/earthquake/evacuation drills and update/evaluate and execute emergency preparedness plan.
- 2 Years related Office Experience
- Ability to work with and around young children an absolute must. Able to work with children and adults from diverse backgrounds. Experience in a preschool or co-op school setting a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a lively and ever-changing setting.
- Highly organized and enjoys projects that require a great deal of attention to detail; self-motivated and able to manage time efficiently and independently.
- Highly proficient in PC computers, email, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Internet/Web Savvy. Experience with WordPress and QuickBooks a plus.
- Qualified candidates will be required to provide references and pass a background check before an offer will be extended.
- 30-32 hours per week: these hours would include approximately 3 evening meetings per month (Board, Parent and Business Meetings, and at least 2 Staff meetings). Additional hours may be necessary, although an average 30 hours per week can be managed through a flexible schedule as needed.
- All school special events, such as annual fundraising events and all-school field trips.
$27-32K annual salary DOE. Benefits include PTO, bonuses, and retirement plan.
Email Required Application Documents to: email@example.com
Click to download a PDF of the Job Description – AD Solicitation (February 14, 2017)